Head off the beaten track with your own camping
staff and equipment.
This is a real safari for anyone ready for adventure!
On this camping tour you'll explore the hills of Mount
Kenya, the arid semi-desert of Samburu, the lush rain forests of
Mount Elgon and Kakamega, the rolling savannah of the Masai Mara
and the stunning Rift Valley Lakes.
A combination of walks, game drives and village visits
ensure an excellent introduction to Kenya's many faces!
Identifying animal tracks on a game walk.
- Day One: Arrive at Jomo Kenyatta Airport in Nairobi,
Met and introduced to our driver/guide and camp staff. Your truck
is already packed; head off for Sagana, a campsite near the Tana
River in Mount Kenya's valleys.
Set up camp in time for a light lunch and spend the afternoon
at leisure or white water rafting the river (if water levels allow).
Safari briefing by the campfire, dinner and overnight at the campsite.
- Day Two: Break camp before breakfast and depart for the
Samburu National Reserve in Northern Kenya. Set up camp by the
Uaso Nyiro River, the main water source in this arid area.
- Day Three: Spend the full day exploring this wonderful
- Day Four: Take an early start, driving through Samburu
into the Rift Valley to Lake Baringo. Set up camp in a Tortillis
tree acacia glade. In the afternoon take a walk along the cliff
edges that surround the lake.
- Day Five: Enjoy a boat ride on the lake to see the water
based animals such as hippo, crocodiles and fish eagles. Lunch
at the campsite before an afternoon at leisure or a walk to the
local fishing village.
- Day Six: An early breakfast then drive via the Kerio
Valley, through the fertile upcountry farmlands to the Mount Elgon
National Park, famous for its salt mining elephant, caves and
- Day Seven: Depart for Saiwa Swamp and a walking safari
in search of the rare Sitatunga antelope. Return to Mount Elgon
for a late breakfast. After lunch, explore the caves and watch
for animals on foot.
- Day Eight: After breakfast, depart for Kakamega town
to replenish vegetables and head to the Kakamega Tropical Rain
Forest. Set up camp and have lunch before a guided nature walk
of the forest.
- Day Nine: Depart south for the famous Masai Mara with
a picnic lunch en-route. Arrive late afternoon and overnight at
the campsite in the Masai Mara.
- Days Ten-Eleven: Spend two full days exploring this
fabulous game reserve. Visit a Masai village for cultural insights
and explore the reserve on foot as well as by vehicle.
- Day Twelve: After breakfast, drive to Lake Naivasha
in the Rift Valley. Arrive for lunch, a visit to the conservation
area at Elsamere and a late afternoon boat ride on the lake.
- Day Thirteen: After breakfast, drive to Lake Nakuru
for a full day of exploring this bird and rhino sanctuary. Picnic
lunch and late afternoon return to the Lake Naivasha campsite
for dinner and overnight.
- Day Fourteen: Return to Nairobi, overnight at a two
star hotel. Lunch and dinner on your own.
- Day Fifteen: Full day sight seeing in Nairobi, including
a city tour, Nairobi museum and snake farm. Transfer to Nairobi
airport for your international return flight.
For more information on this safari or others like
it, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.